Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sunday Night Special

Tonight's dinner was a bit of an experiment.  I tend to do our grocery shopping on Mondays which means by Sunday night I need to be a little more creative with what I have left to work with.

I made vegan french toast this morning, which I am kicking myself for not documenting (I will another time).  We spent the rest of the day at a four year old's birthday party, surrounded by cake, pizza, and ice cream.  When we got home I knew I wanted to make something hardy and loaded with veggies.  As much as I love our Spiralfix, I also knew I had a package of spaghetti calling my name in our kitchen cabinet.

These are the ingredients I used tonight, but again this was what I could throw together a night before grocery shopping.  The carrots made this sauce a little sweet (which is great for kids) I would probably add more roasted tomatoes to the recipe next time.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 5 carrots, halved
  • 1 chopped tomato
  • 1 sweet potato sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic (we are addicted to garlic)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 package veggie crumble (I used Trader Joe's tonight)
  • 1 package of spaghetti
  • assorted frozen veggies (I finished a bag of broccoli and 1/2 a bag of Trader Joe's organic vegetable foursome) 
  • salt and pepper to taste
My first task was to start the sauce.  I worked with what I had in the kitchen and cut up my carrots, tomato, sweet potato, and garlic.  Then I drizzled a little less than 1/4 cup of olive over the veggies along with a little salt and pepper.  I threw them into a preheated oven set to 450 degrees for about 25 minutes.  They came out looking like this…


While my veggies were roasting I cooked my pasta according to directions.  I also browned my veggie crumble, a sliced tomato and frozen veggies in a pan with the remaining olive oil.  


Once my veggies were done roasting I transferred them to the Vitamix.  I added some vegetable broth to the roasted veggies and set my Vitamix to setting 1 and slowly increased to 7 meanwhile pouring the remaining veggie broth into the mix.  You can add more or less broth depending on your desired thickness of the sauce.  My sauce came out looking like this…


I transferred my sauce to a pot and threw in my veggie crumble mix.  I dished out some for our four year old and added some red pepper flake to the "grown up" version. I served this over pasta and it was kid and husband approved (I enjoyed it too!).  








No comments:

Post a Comment