Monday, September 7, 2015

Veganized Cornbread

I love taking everyday food and making a vegan version of it.  I see it as an experimental and tasty challenge (the best kind of challenge).  There's a lot of food out there people may not realize is vegan and there's a lot of food you can easily make a few amendments to to "veganize" it.  Here's one of them…

My husband loves cornbread, but obviously unless we are at a vegan restaurant he's not able to eat it.  Trader Joe's has an amazing cornbread mix, the mix itself is vegan, however the recipe calls for milk and eggs.  






I substituted the milk for almond milk, which is an easy switch.  However, the egg is where it gets tricky.  I'm not a huge fan of PETA but they have a great chart online for egg substitutes.  For the cornbread egg substitute I used two Tbsp. of water, one Tbsp. and two tsp. of baking powder to substitute for one egg.




This worked wonderfully.  My family loved it.  I baked it in our cast iron which added a rustic feel to eating cornbread.  It was a Monday morning breakfast win.  


No comments:

Post a Comment