Tuesday, September 29, 2015

International Coffee Day

So apparently it's International Coffee Day.  As a part-time Starbucks barista, I should probably have marked this on my calendar.  I've worked at Starbucks part-time for the last five years.  It's been one of my favorite jobs and I've met some great people.  Also, over the last five years I've been supplied with a free pound of Starbucks coffee every week.  Needless to say, my hubby and I never run out…




So working at Starbucks has made me a bit of a coffee snob.  Now for me, an eight dollar bottle of wine borders "fancy," but I can't cheap out on coffee.  I like to think I kind of know what I'm talking about here.  In honor of International Coffee Day I wanted to share with you my favorite iced coffee you can make at home.


First, you need to arm yourself with a French press.  As a Starbucks baritsa, I cannot recommend a French press enough.  Throw away your K cups please, French press is the way to go.  Once you go French press you won't go back.  Trust me.  Plus it makes you look super classy.  


I currently have a smaller French press, as a loaner from my parents, because my graceful self broke my bigger one.  This one is is from Starbucks and was not expensive.  I've also seen inexpensive presses at Homegoods as well.  


Now you need some coffee beans.  Use your favorite, obviously all of my coffee for now comes from Starbucks.  My husband and I (okay it might have been just me) registered for an air tight container for our coffee beans.  This is your best bet if you want to keep your coffee at it's prime freshness.  You want to keep your coffee whole bean and grind as you go, and please please never freeze.

When you are grinding your coffee for a French press make sure your setting is coarse, or else you'll be drinking coffee grounds.  

So now you have your French press and your favorite coffee ground.  Next you need to follow the scoop and water measurements for your French press.  Mine calls for 4 tablespoons of grounds.  However, since this is an iced coffee recipe, I use an extra scoop considering the coffee might be watered down by ice.  Add your coffee to the French press and at COLD water.  This is the beauty of the cold press, you do not need to heat water, the coffee and water will be absorbed overnight.  Stir your coffee and grounds and let it sit in the fridge for 8-12 hours. Do not press until the morning when you're ready to serve it.


Make sure to place it next to the beer in your fridge.  That makes it better.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment