Thursday, August 27, 2015

Faux noodles are your friend

My husband spent the entire day studying for a big test he's taking this fall.  I wanted to make him some vegan comfort food but I also wanted to keep it fairly healthy (there's been some takeout and pasta in these parts the last few days).


I honestly didn't have much of a plan besides knowing I wanted to make zucchini noodles.  I tend to go grocery shopping on Monday's so Wednesday nights usually have a variety of ingredients to choose from.  

Ingredients 
  • 1 zucchini (made into noodles with the Spiralfix)
  • 4 cloves of garlic (we love garlic!)
  • 2 Tbs. crushed garlic (I'd skip this if you're not a garlic fan)
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 carrots chopped
  • 2 Tofurkey sausages
  • 2 tomatoes chopped
  • 3 Tbs. vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
  • 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
  • 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 Cup vegan cheese (I used Daiya mozzarella cheese) 



First I sautéed my onions and garlic in a pan with some vegan butter.  While they were cooking I made my zucchini into noodles with the Spiralfix.  Zucchini noodles are my personal favorite. 


Once my onions and garlic were translucent I threw in my carrots, tofurkey sausage, tomatoes and noodles.  I added the remaining butter and red wine vinegar to the pan.  Once my veggies and sausage were cooked I topped everything off with the nutritional yeast and vegan cheese.  I personally love Daiya cheese because it melts like real cheese, a lot of other vegan cheeses do not.  Along with the nutritional yeast, this created a nice creamy sauce.  


This was definitely vegan comfort food but loaded with veggies (or at least I kept telling myself that).  My husband loved it.  I might have slipped some to the dog too...

No comments:

Post a Comment