Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"Veganized" Banana Bread

My husband is a fan of many things, but bananas are not one of them.  Oh well, it's not all about him.  My mom gave me a bunch of ripe bananas over the weekend.  They were perfect for baking.


After the long weekend it was time to do some grocery shopping.  I went to Trader Joe's after work today and loaded up for the week.  I came across the Banana Bread Mix and thought what better to use my ripe bananas for.  The ingredients did not require a banana but it was mentioned you can add all sorts of fixing to the banana bread mix, including ripe bananas.  However, this recipe called for two eggs.

No problem.  I knew I could come up with a binding substitute at home, and thew the mix in my cart. 

I know I have used different egg substitutes here before, so I experimented a bit tonight.  Tonight instead of one egg I used…

one egg = 1 tablespoon flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water

Of course we're earthy crunchy enough to have flaxseed laying around and I whisked it together with the water and added it to my wet ingredients.  Besides my egg substitutes I followed all the other ingredients and directions, adding a mashed ripe banana as well.  I don't know if it's my oven or not but I ended up cooking the banana bread about ten minutes longer than directed.  That may have something to do with the fact I didn't use real eggs. 

The result…a tasty vegan banana bread.  So my breakfast tomorrow.  Enjoy!






1 comment: