Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Chili II

My husband and I have a lot in common.  We're both special education teachers, we're both terrible at putting away laundry, and we both make a mean chili.  Those are actually the three reasons why we got married…


Okay not really, but I think it's nice to have a friendly rivalry when it comes to cooking.  We're having friends over next week and we're planning on making both of our chills.  I've introduced my version on here before, but my hubby's is very different (hence why we can serve them at the same time without being redundant).  His is very…let's say "collegey"???  And not in an educational sense, more like poor college kid throwing everything in his fridge together and some how amazingly making something that tastes good.


.  You'll know what I'm talking about when you see the ingredients…Also, please notice how the dog is stalking my husband in the picture above...

Ingredients

  • 1 can vegetarian baked beans
  • 1 can black beans (drained)
  • 1 can red kidney beans (drained)
  • 2 packages of veggie crumble
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (with the juice)


All you need to do is mix everything together.  We made ours in our crock pot and cooked it on low for six hours.  I was skeptical, but it was delicious.  We threw some sliced jalapeƱo peppers and Daiya cheese on there and in the words of my husband "BOOM"!


It's certainly a hardy chili with all the protein varieties.  The baked beans add a unique flavor too.  It's something that would satisfy vegetarians and non vegetarians alike.

We'll see who makes the better chili next week though...




No comments:

Post a Comment